Interacting with his environment, an individual is forced to make choice as for the information which he is going to assimilate and as for the behavior to adopt according to the situations. So an individual has to weigh up various information sources (social information obtained by interaction with other individuals, personal informations accumulated by the individual during process of tries and errors). What are the factors which influence on this balance? How the natural selection acts on these processes? By integrating at the same time surrounding areas of biology behavioral, genetics and neurobiology, we try to understand how interact these various information sources and how the individuals adapt their behavior to varied conditions
Members of team:
Frederic Mery: Researcher, person in charge of the team
Celine Moreno: Researcher engineer
Serafino Teseo: Post-PhD student
Liisa Veerus: Erasmus Student
- Battesti M; Pasquaretta, C; Moreno C; Teseo S; Joly D; klenschi E; Petit O; Sueur C; Mery F 2015 Ecology of information: Social transmission dynamics within groups of non-social insects Roy. Soc. Lond. B (in press)
- Battesti M , Moreno C, Joly D, Mery F 2014 Biased social transmission in Drosophila oviposition choice Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology (in press)
- Mery F 2013 Natural Variation in Learning and Memory Current Opinion in Neurobiology (in press)
- Kohn NR, Reaume CJ, Burns J, Sokolowski MB, Mery F 2013 Social environment influences performance in a cognitive task in natural variants of the foraging gene Plos One 8(12): e81272. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0081272
- Philippe, A.-S., R. Jeanson, C. Pasquaretta, F. Rebaudo, C. Sueur & F. Mery (2016) Genetic variation in aggregation behaviour and interacting phenotypes in Drosophila. Proceedings. Biological sciences / The Royal Society, 283.
- Lagasse F, Moreno C, Preat T, Mery F 2012 Functional and evolutionary trade-offs co-occur between two consolidated memory phases in Drosophila melanogaster Roy. Soc. Lond. B 279 (1744):4015-4023.
- G. Burns, N. Svetec, L. Rowe, F. Mery, M. Dolan, W.T. Boyce, M.B. Sokolowski. 2012. Gene-environment interplay in Drosophila melanogaster: Chronic food deprivation in early-life affects adult exploratory and fitness traits. Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA 109: 17239-17244.
- Battesti M, Moreno C, Joly D and Mery F. 2012 Spread of social information and dynamics of social transmission within Current Biology 22(4) 309-313.
- Hutchinson, J. M. C. Stephens D. W., Bateson M., Couzin I., Dukas R., Giraldeau L., Hills T. T., Mery, F. and Winterhalder, B. 2012. Evolution of Search, Adaptation and Phylogeny. In: Cognitive Search: Evolution, Algorithms, and the Brain.
- Burns J, Foucaud J, Mery F 2011 Costs of memory: lessons from “mini” brains Roy. Soc. Lond. B 278(1707): 923-929.
- Reaume C, Sokolowski MB, Mery F 2011 A natural genetic polymorphism affects retroactive interference in Drosophila melanogaster Roy. Soc. Lond. B 278(1702): 91-98.
- Foucaud J, Burns J, Mery F 2010 Use of spatial information and search strategies in a water maze analog in Drosophila melanogaster PLoS ONE 5(10)
- Danchin E, Blanchet S, Mery F and Wagner RH 2010 Do invertebrates have culture? Communicative & Integrative Biology 3(4) 303-305
- Mery F Book Review: Cognitive Ecology II. Quarterly Review of Biology (in press)
- Burns J and Mery F 2010 Transgenerational memory effect of ageing in Drosophila, Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23(4): 678-686
- Mery F and Burns J 2010 Behavioural plasticity: an interaction between evolution and experience Evolutionary Ecology 24(3): 571-583
- Mery F, Varela S, Danchin E, Blanchet S, Parejo D, Coolen I and Wagner R 2009 Public versus personal information for mate copying in an invertebrate Current Biology 19(9):730-734.
- Lagasse F, Devaud JM and Mery F 2009 “A switch from cycloheximide-resistant consolidated memory to cycloheximide-sensitive reconsolidation and extinction in Drosophila” Journal of Neuroscience 29(7): 2225-2230.
- Mery F 2008 “Evolutionary biology of learning in insect: the search for food” in “insect taste” (ed. Newland P, Cobb M, Marion-Poll F, Taylor Francis P 243-256).
- Mery F, Belay AT, So AK-C, Sokolowski MB, Kawecki TJ 2007 “Natural polymorphism affecting learning and memory in Drosophila” Natl Acad Sci USA 104:13051–13055.
- Mery F, Pont J, Preat T and Kawecki TJ 2007 ‘’Experimental evolution of olfactory memory in Drosophila melanogaster’’ Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 80 (4): 399-405
- Mery F. 2006 “Aging and its differential effects on consolidated memory forms in Drosophila” Experimental Gerontology 42(1-2): 99-101
- Thomas, F., C. Jacqueline, T. Tissot, M. Henard, S. Blanchet, G. Loot, E. Dawson, F. Mery, F. Renaud, J. Montagne, C. Beckmann, P. A. Biro, R. Hamede & B. Ujvari (2017) The importance of cancer cells for animal evolutionary ecology. Nature Ecology & Evolution, 1, 1592-1595. 10.1038/s41559-017-0343-z.
- Thomas, F., S. Rome, F. Mery, E. Dawson, J. Montagne, P. A. Biro, C. Beckmann, F. Renaud, R. Poulin, M. Raymond & B. Ujvari (2017) Changes in diet associated with cancer: An evolutionary perspective. Evolutionary Applications, 10, 651-657. 10.1111/eva.12465.
- Sueur, C. & F. Mery (2017) Editorial: Social Interaction in Animals: Linking Experimental Approach and Social Network Analysis. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 3. 10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00035.
- Arnal, A., C. Jacqueline, B. Ujvari, L. Leger, C. Moreno, D. Faugere, A. Tasiemski, C. Boidin-Wichlacz, D. Misse, F. Renaud, J. Montagne, A. Casali, B. Roche, F. Mery & F. Thomas (2017) Cancer brings forward oviposition in the fly Drosophila melanogaster. Ecology and Evolution, 7, 272-276. 10.1002/ece3.2571.
- Philippe AS; Jeanson R; Pasquaretta C; Rebaudo F; Sueur C; Mery F 2016 Genetic variation in aggregation behaviour in Drosophila and interacting phenotypes Roy. Soc. Lond. B (in press)
- Teseo S; Veerus L; Mery F Fights, sex and behavioral plasticity: social experience determines fruit flies’ behavior across different functional contexts 2016 Naturwissenschaften (in press)
- Pasquaretta C, Klenschi E, Pansanel J, Battesti M, Mery F, Sueur C 2016 Understanding dynamics of information transmission in Drosophila melanogaster using RSiena. Frontiers in Psychology (in press).
- Pasquaretta C, Battesti M, Klenschi E, Bousquet C, Sueur C, Mery F 2016 How social network structure affects decision-making in Drosophila melanogaster phenotypes Roy. Soc. Lond. B (in press)
- Foucaud, J; Moreno, C; Gibert, P; Pascual, M; Rezende, E; Mery, F 2016 Native and introduced Drosophila suboscura populations do not differ in their learning ability of oviposition site ecology&evolution (in press)
- Tissot T, Arnal A, Jacqueline C, Poulin R, Lefevre T, Mery F, Renaud F, Roche B, Massol F, Salzet M, Ewald P, Tasiemski A, Ujvari A,Thomas F 2016 Host manipulation by cancer cells: expectations, facts and therapeutic implications Bioessays (in press)
- Ujvari B, Biro PA, Beckmann B, Arnal A, Tasiemki A, Massol F, Salzet M, Mery F, Boidin-Wichlacz C, Renaud F, Vittecoq M, Tissot T, Roche R, Poulin R, Thomas F 2016 Cancer and life-history traits: lessons from host-parasite interactions Parasitology (in press)
- Teseo S; Veerus L; Moreno C; Mery F 2016 Sexual harassment induces a fitness cost but does not constrain the acquisition of environmental information in fruit flies Letters (in press)
- Battesti M; Pasquaretta, C; Moreno C; Teseo S; Joly D; klenschi E; Petit O; Sueur C; Mery F 2015 Ecology of information: Social transmission dynamics within groups of non-social insects Roy. Soc. Lond. B 282 (1801)