Assistant professor at Paris Sud 11
Email: elsa.petit AT u-psud.fr
Phone: +33 (0)1 69 82 37 48
Fax: +33 1 69 82 37 36
Research: Disease ecology and evolution
Broadly, my research focuses on the ecology and evolution of diseases. This topic provides both an exceptional model for many areas of evolutionary ecology due to their rapid dynamics, and has strong applied relevance for human, animal and plant health and conservation. My main focus has been on understanding what drives the emergence of pathogens in new host species. I am currently working on an emerging human disease, Chagas. I am interested in the fundamentals of drivers of pathogen emergence. Using the model of Chagas disease with the wild vector system, I intend to find what is the importance of adaptation in disease emergence, which is crucial for understanding when and where disease may arise.
I am teaching in the biology department at Paris Sud, Orsay.
- E. Petit, M. V. Coppi, J. C. Hayes, A. Tolonen, T. Warnick, W. G. Latouf, D. Amisano, A. Biddle, S. Mukherjee, N. Ivanova, A. Lykidis, M. Land, L. Hauser, N. Kyrpides, B. Henrissat, D. Schnell, G. Church, S. B. Leschine and J. L. Blanchard. (ACCEPTED). Clostridium phytofermentans genome and transcriptome: A window on the direct conversion of plant biomass to fuels. PLoS ONE
- E. Petit and W. D. Gubler. (IN PRESS). Black foot disease of grapevine. Compendium of Grapevine Diseases. Book Chapter.
- G. Aguileta, D. M. de Vienne, O.N. Ross, M. E. Hood, T. Giraud, E. Petit and T. Gabaldón. 2014. High variability of mitochondrial gene order in basidiomycetes. Genome Biology and Evolution 6(2): 451–465.
- A. Tolonen, E. Petit, J. L. Blanchard, T. Warnick, and S. B. Leschine. 2013. Technologies to study plant biomass fermentation using the model bacterium Clostridium phytofermentans. Biol. Convers. Biomass Fuels Chem. Explor. Nat. Util. Syst. Chapter 7.
- F. Abdul-Rahman, E. Petit, J. L. Blanchard. 2013. The distribution of polyhedral bacterial microcompartments suggests frequent horizontal transfer and operon reassembly. Journal of Phylogenetics & Evolutionary Biology 1:118.
- B. Büker, E. Petit, D. Begerow, and M.E. Hood. 2013. Experimental hybridization and backcrossing reveal forces of reproductive isolation in Microbotryum. BMC Evolutionary Biology 13:224.
- B.P.S. Nieuwenhuis, S. Billiard, S. Vuilleumier, E. Petit, M. E. Hood, and T. Giraud. 2013. Evolutionary advantages and drawbacks of uni- versus bifactoriality in mating type determinism. Heredity 1-11.
- A. K. Gibson, E Petit, J. Mena-Ali, B. Oxelman, and M. E. Hood. 2013. Life-history strategy defends against disease and affects physiological resistance. Ecology and Evolution 3: 1741-1750.
- M. E. Hood, E. Petit, and T. Giraud. 2013. Extensive divergence between mating type chromosomes of the anther-smut fungus. Genetics 193: 309–315.
- E. Petit, W. G. LaTouf, M. V. Coppi, T. A. Warnick, D. Currie, I. Romashko, S. Deshpande, D. J. Schnell, S. B. Leschine, and J. L. Blanchard. 2013. Involvement of a bacterial microcompartment in the metabolism of fucose and rhamnose by Clostridium phytofermentans. PLoS ONE e54337.
- E. Petit, T. Giraud, D. M. de Vienne, M. A. Coelho, G. Aguileta, J. Amselem, J. Kreplak, J. Poulain, F. Gavory, P. Wincker, S. K. Young, C. Cuomo, M.H. Perlin, and M. E. Hood. 2012. Linkage to the mating-type locus across the genus Microbotryum: Insights into non-recombining chromosomes. Evolution 66: 3519–3533.
- E. Petit, E. Chung, A. Pedersen, J. Antonovics and M.E. Hood. 2012. Variation in resistance to multiple pathogen species: anther-smuts of Silene uniflora. Ecology and Evolution 2: 2304–2314. (COVER IMAGE)
- F. Horns, E. Petit, R. Yockteng, M. E. Hood. 2012. Patterns of repeat-induced point mutation in transposable elements of basidiomycete fungi. Genome Biology and Evolution 4: 240-247.
- E. Petit, E. Barriault, K. Baumgartner, W. Wilcox, P. Rolshausen. 2011. Cylindrocarpon species associated with black-foot of grapevine in the Northeastern United States and Southeastern Canada. American Journal of Viticulture and Enology 62: 177-183.
- E. Petit and W. D. Gubler. 2007. First report of Cylindrocarpon liriodendri causing black foot disease of grapevine in California. Plant Disease 91 (8): 1060.
- E. Petit and W. D. Gubler. 2006. Influence of Glomus intraradices on black foot disease caused by Cylindrocarpon macrodidymum on Vitis rupestris under controlled conditions. Plant Disease 90 (12): 1481.
- E. Petit and W. D. Gubler. 2005. Characterization of Cylindrocarpon species, the cause of black foot disease of grapevines in California. Plant Disease 89 (10): 1051.
- W. D. Gubler, K. Baumgartner, G. T. Browne, A. Eskalen, S. R. Latham, E. Petit, and L. A. Bayramian. 2004. Root diseases of grapevines in California and their control. Australasian Plant Pathology 33 (2): 157-165.
- M. L. Gleason, E. Petit, S. N. Wegulo, and H. G. Taber. 1999. Evaluation of SkyBit data input to the Melcast disease-warning system for control of watermelon anthracnose. Fungicide and Nematicide Tests 55:289.