Postdoctoral consultant at ICIPE in Data Management, Modelling and Geoinformation Unit
Main responsibility: Implement a project on: “Measuring and modelling crop yield losses due to insect pests under a warming climate”
- Develop a system dynamics model of the population dynamics of insect pest in cropping agroecosystems,
- Design and conduct experiments on temperature and CO2-dependent potential of insect pest to damage the host plant into phytotron,
- Design and conduct experiments on damage-dependent yield losses into greenhouse,
- Develop models with a process-based dynamic modelling (insect pest phenology and crop models),
- Test, evaluate, and analyse the models for future predictions:
- formulate and fit the damage functions representing the conversion of insect injury into yield loss,
- formulate and fit the loss function converting injury into economic losses,
- evaluate the developed model by comparing simulation outputs against observed datasets,
- estimate the applicability of the model to new environmental conditions through comparison of the behaviour to key factors and processes.
- Develop methodological approach for predicting and mapping the phenological adaptation of tropical cereal crops (maize) using multi-environment trials,
- Train on system dynamics modelling,
- Supervise/assist under- and postgraduate students and technicians.
Sokame, B.M., Ntiri, E., Ahuya, P., Torto, B., Le Ru, B.P., Kilalo, D.C., Juma, G., Calatayud, P.-A. (2019). Caterpillar-induced plant volatiles attract conspecific and heterospecific adults for oviposition within a community of lepidopteran stem borers on maize plants. Chemoecology, 29, 89-101.
Sokame, B.M., Rebaudo, F., Musyoka, B., Obonyo, J., Mailafiya, D.M., Le Ru, B.P., Kilalo, D.C., Juma, G., Calatayud, P.-A. (2019). Carry-over niches for lepidopteran maize stemborers and associated parasitoids during non-cropping season. Insects, 10, 191, doi:10.3390/insects10070191.
Sokame B.M., Rebaudo F., Malusi P., Subramanian S., Killo D.C., Juma G., Calatayud P.-A. (2020). Influence of Temperature on the Interaction for Resource Utilization between Fall Armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda(Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and a Community of Lepidopteran Maize Stemborers Larvae. Insects, 11, 73. doi:10.3390/insects11020073.
Sokame B.M., Subramanian S., Kilalo D.C., Juma G., Calatayud P.-A. (2020). Larval dispersal of the invasive fall armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda, the exotic stemborer Chilo partellus, and indigenous maize stemborers in Africa. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 168, 322–331.
Sokame B.M., Obonyo J., Sammy E.M., Mohamed S.A.,Subramanian S., Kilalo D.C., Juma G., Calatayud P.-A. (2020). Impact of the exotic fall armyworm on larval parasitoids associated with the lepidopteran maize stemborers in Kenya. BioControl, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10526-020-10059-2
Sokame B.M., Tonnang H.E.Z., Subramanian S., Bruce A.Y., Dubois T., Ekesi S., Calatayud P.-A. 2021. A system dynamic model for pests and natural enemies interactions. Scientific Reports, 11, 1401, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79553-y